Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Political prayers?

Finally, prayers for politicians.

If you’re tired of praying for peace, salvation and other big-picture goals, you can lower your sights. Way down.

The Church of England has created special “prayers to help confused and cynical voters ahead of Britain's upcoming election.”

A typical one reads, "Help me not to be cynical about politics and politicians, help me to remember that my vote can make a difference."

It’s about time. And we need it on this side of the pond too. May I suggest:

“Dear Lord: Please lower my taxes to almost nothing and bless our town with a spiffy new six-lane highway.”

“Dear Lord: Please give us senators who can keep their hands out of the pockets of lobbyists, their eyes on the challenges of health care and their you-know-whats away from interns.”

“Dear Lord: Please make those idiots in the other party as smart as the geniuses in my party.” (Applicable to Democrats and Republicans.)

“Dear Lord: Please enlighten more people about the evils of gambling ... after I hit the big jackpot on Powerball.”

And finally:

“Dear Lord: Please direct me to the church safely this Easter Sunday. It is so hard to remember where it is from last Christmas.”

2 comments:

Mack said...

Remember the rabbi's petitionary prayer in FIDDLER ON THE ROOF: "May God bless and keep the Czar -- far away from us!" I would suggests that with all the extra-Constitutional little czars appointd over us, the prayer is still necessary.

Anne said...

Dear Lord, Please bless all political interns with a mighty right cross, a speedy swift kick in a "groin area" and cut throat attorneys.Amen.