Monday, March 02, 2009

Squared off

Look, I’m a tolerant guy. Live and let live, and all that.

But if you’re going to celebrate National Square Root Day on Tuesday, you might wanna keep it quiet. Your friends and neighbors might get the idea that you are some kind of massive nerd.

Tuesday, of course, is written numerically as 3/3/09. And since 3 times 3 equals 9, we’re talking one of those calendrical coincidences that comes along only now and then. (Thank God.)

Personally, I could go through all 24 hours of National Square Root Day without raising my pulse. But to numbers junkies, this is one of the most exciting days since, oh, Sept. 9, 1999. (9/9/99, if you must ask.)

For example, Ron Gordon, a teacher in Redwood City, Calif., started a contest to get people excited about Tuesday’s, uh, happening.

“These days are like calendar comets, you wait and wait and wait for them, then they brighten up your day — and poof — they’re gone,” he gushed.

Please, Ron, settle down, willya? Is he the kind of guy who has a panic attack when he sees a broken clock?

Ron, by the way, is offering a prize of $339 for the niftiest Square Root Day event. (This is one contest I won’t win.)

Actually, if we can get through the drama of National Square Root Day, we won’t have to confront this nonsense again until April 4, 2016. (4/4/16)

Wake me when it’s over.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maths are evil; they are NOT in the Bible. And don't even bring up cubits; there are no cubits anymore. Furthermore, Jesus never said "Solve for X."

Kids, you don't have to do maths ever again.

-- Mack

Anonymous said...

Mack, you're not in the Bible either, so you're not real and will have to disappear.

Sven the Viking

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sven, I was St. John's pen-sharpener on Patmos, okay, so I KNOW there are no maths. And those geese sure were angry with me. How many sheep? Just a bunch, and a bunch is good enough.

-- Mack

Anonymous said...

Geese? Sheep? What are you babbling about, old man?

Sven the Viking

Anonymous said...

I meant geese, not sheep. Bahhhhhhhhh! Picky, picky, picky!

-- Mack

Anonymous said...

Mack, you should be in a home of some kind.

Sven the Viking

Anonymous said...

As long as I can have my Jeeves and Wooster DVDs and macaroni-and-cheese at least twice a week, I'm down with that.

-- Mack