Monday, March 30, 2009

Would you like bullets with those fries?

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often — somebody going postal in a fast food drive-through.

Like the other day in Salt Lake, where a guy fired a couple of shots into the drive-through window of a McDonald’s with a sawed-off shotgun.

Seems it was Sunday morning and the female driver of a car was told it was too early to order lunch ’cause Mickey D’s was still doing breakfast.

That didn’t go over too well. So two guys got out of the car and one of them whipped out the sawed-off. Maybe they were miffed because they were late for church.

Fortunately, nobody wearing a paper hat (or anything else) was hurt.

While I certainly don’t condone gunplay, I could see how you could get ticked off by the fast-food experience.

In fact, it happens to me all the time. With a bunch of kids and a busy schedule of my own, I spend a lot of time speaking into an intercom at some burger/taco/chicken emporium.

It doesn’t go well a lot of times — and I have low standards because I know it’s a fast-food joint staffed by teenagers who want to be somewhere else.

Still, the frustration factor can get pretty high. The list of recurring problems includes:

-- Order-takers who patiently listen to your order and then say, “Could you repeat that?” Uh, weren’t you supposed to be listening the first time?

-- Customers who place humongous orders from the drive-through, like 30 tacos, jamming up the line behind them.

-- Employees who mysteriously vacate the order window for looong stretches of time. Can’t somebody else find the new box of cups inside?

-- Customers who stop ahead of the intercom to study the menu for four or five minutes. Jeez, it’s a burger barn or a taco town. It ain’t that complicated. Just pull up and place your order.

-- Employees who say, “Sorry, we’re out of iced tea.” Hey, this is Southeast Texas. You’re not supposed to run out of tea!

Those are my gripes about Fast Food Nation; what are yours?

4 comments:

Mack said...

One tries to avoid ordering food by picture and by weight.

Mack said...

Them places is just too dang fancy for me. I hears they even clean 'em up once in a while, and I think a few roach legs kindly put a little extra somethin' spicy in my critter.

And they try to tell me them buffalos got wings. Buffalos ain't got no wings. I may be from Hardin County, but I know stuff, okauy?

Sven the Viking

Anonymous said...

Them places is just too dang fancy for me. I hears they even clean 'em up once in a while, and I think a few roach legs kindly put a little extra somethin' spicy in my critter.

And they try to tell me them buffalos got wings. Buffalos ain't got no wings. I may be from Hardin County, but I know stuff, okauy?

Sven the Viking

Anne said...

Drink cups filled too full and when you grab'em from the window person, they squeeze and pop off the lid and shoot a big squirt of Coke down your arm to the armpit and all over your blouse/shirt/bikini top. And passing out exactly ONE ketchup blurt for a large order of fries.