Thursday, February 04, 2010

Art mart

I just can’t make up my mind about this darned recession.

Is it still raging, as proved by Exxon-Mobil’s anemic profits, or does the latest record for an art sale mean happy days are here again?

I refer of course – as if you didn’t know – to the recent purchase of Alberto Giacometti's "Walking Man I" statue for a cool $104.3 million.

That’s a new world record for a piece of art – but again, you knew that.

Personally, I wouldn’t have given a nickel over $99 million for "Walking Man I." I mean, it’s nice and all, but one must have limits.

And for $104.3 mil, couldn’t Sotheby’s have thrown in "Walking Man II" and "Walking Man III," if they exist? You could make a dandy arrangement with the whole gang.

"Walking Man I" can be described (generously) as a statue of a really skinny guy walking. I suppose it’s designed to motivate you to lose weight by going around the block more often.

Then again, you may appreciate it as a poignant commentary on the delicate frailty of inner beauty and the irrevocable decontextualization of modern life.

At any rate, I would be proud if I had just written the check to bring this baby home.
It would be a real conversation starter for barbecues and other get-togethers, and it could also double as a nifty hat rack.

See you at Sotheby’s for the next auction. I might put in a bid for Bruno Frimpel’s “Lump of Crap” if I can spare $50 million.

1 comment:

Mack said...

"The Emperor's New Clothes" is required reading for adults. Simply because someone touts up a bit of therapy from the, well, you know, the home, doesn't mean it's objectively worth anything.

A well-made American pocket-knife -- now there's a true work of art.