Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Air sickness

Memo to frequent fliers: On that next long trip, don’t forget to bring your wool jammies if you’re flying American Airlines.

’Cause if you don’t, they’re gonna charge you eight bucks for a blanket and pillow!

It’s true, weary wayfarers. American will now demand that you fork over $8 dollars “for a pillow and blanket in coach class for domestic trips and some international flights longer than two hours, beginning May 1. The international flights are to and from Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean and Central America.”

Good grief; what’s next? Special fees for barf bags? Additional charges for that second trip to the rest room! A credit-card swipe before you can tilt your seat back to the recline position?

I’m tellin’ ya, the romance of flying is long gone.

First they took away the free meals. Then they gave you small foil bags of peanuts that could not be opened. Then they started charging you for checked-in luggage. Then you had to take off your shoes for a stupid security check. Then they subjected you to pre-boarding body scans that show more than early centerfolds.

And now you have to pay for pillows!

Pretty soon, they’ll be cramming us in like livestock in a trailer. And straw on the floor will cost extra.

Travelers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your change!

2 comments:

Massive Ferguson said...

I miss railroads.

Anne said...

Gawd, how I miss my horses.
The last flight I was on that was a good experience was returning to Beaumont after evacuating from Hurricane Rita. The tiny little prop critter was small, uncomfortable and crowded with some really old and ill citizens returning to our badly dented city. I was so glad to see my undamaged home, my alive and healthy family members, my dog and my neighbors, it wouldn't have been any better if I had been on a jumbo jet.
The people on that little plane were well cared for, ambulances met us upon landing to care for the truly fragile passengers and I wanted to kiss the tarmac, so happy was I to be there.
Thank you little shuttle plane and crew. I forever sing your praises.