Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cloudy future

Is nothing sacred?

Now the Weather Channel is going to show movies!

That’s right, barometer-breath. The Weather Channel wants to boost its ratings, so it is going Hollywood.

First up, of course, is “The Perfect Storm,” starring George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg. I would guess that would soon be followed by “Twister” starring Helen Hunt and “Purple Rain” starring Prince.

OK, maybe not that last one, but you know the list is endless.

This is not right. When I want to watch a movie, I flip to the American Movie Channel.

When I want to know what the weather is, I turn to the Weather Channel. (Sure, I could stick my head out the door and see if it’s raining, but sometimes that’s too much effort.)

If the Weather Channel is going to show movies, pretty soon it will be like all the other channels with sports, news, commercials and even reality shows. Which pretty much destroys the logic of a Weather Channel.

Granted, I never thought you could fill 24 hours with endless reports about weather, but the Weather Channel did – though lately more filler has been creeping in.

All I know is that the next time a hurricane is threatening, I don’t want to turn to the Weather Channel and see a message at the bottom of the screen that reads, “Stay tuned for reports on the killer storm that is homing in on you like a guided missile after this special broadcast of ‘A River Runs Through It’.”

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hopefully, they don't lay off all the traveling camera crews that cover the storms, hurricanes, floods, mudslides, fires, tornadoes,and floating houses headed down rivers, etc. They are the only real news left to be seen and it would be a shame if they are no longer there, risking health, life and limb to cover the worst things that happen, weather-wise.
When they were covering Rita at Ford Park, they were there and as hot, hungry, thirsty and sweaty as everyone else and kept on working and working.
I am proud of the job they do and I don't think any other country or media will ever do what they do better.