Tuesday, April 07, 2009

How cold was it?

Baby, it’s cold outside … and that’s wonderful.

Most of the time, by the second week of April we’re slathering on sunscreen and cranking up the A/C.

Not this year. It’s been blissfully cool since Spring “officially” began March 20.

I must confess I'm still using the space heater at home in a back bedroom. The electric blanket has not been put away yet. When you walk outside to get the paper off the driveway, it’s downright chilly.

I love it.

I know that eventually, the oppressive, relentless heat will return.

I know that one morning I will walk outside to get the paper off the driveway and notice that it’s already steaming.

I know that soon I will be pushing a lawn mower and struggling to finish.

I know that I will get into a parked car and feel like I am sitting in a pizza oven.

Yes, it will happen soon.

I will hate it. I will wonder when it will end.

And I will think back to the deliciously cool days of spring.

3 comments:

Mack said...

Sven, you have met your craziness match.

Anonymous said...

Don't want no one messin' with my runes!

Anne said...

We are suffering through a heat wave of 47 degrees today. That's a "high of the month" type award. But the sun is shining and the floods are somewhere else so we think it's a good thing.
Poor ignorant Iowans don't know any better.