Monday, April 20, 2009

Four Corners (not)

There are mistakes, and then there are mistakes.

It turns out that the Four Corners monument in the Southwest U.S. is not exactly situated at the place where Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah come together.

The real site is, uh, located to the east.

Like 2.5 miles east.

Not 2.5 feet or 2.5 yards, but 2.5 MILES!

Jeez, I don’t know beans about surveying, but I think I could get closer than 2.5 MILES!

Turns out that the site was misidentified in 1868, and nobody got around to checking it until now.

Duh!

So the millions of people who stood there for decades and said, “I can’t believe I’m standing in four states at one time!” are wrong.

They were just standing in one state at one time, which is how most of us pretty much go through our lives.

Which in the case of the muttonhead who surveyed this site, would the STATE OF CONFUSION.

I just hope the Grand Canyon is still in Arizona and the Empire State Building is still in New York. There are some things in life you have to be able to count on.

3 comments:

Mack said...

The Grand Canyon serves to cull from the gene pool stupid people who stand on the crumbling edge for a "Hold my beer and watch...arggggghhhhhh...!" photograph.

Anne said...

Oh, now what? Next thing you know it'll be the Gulf of Mexico is actually to the left of Hawaii and the Mississippi River runneth through Alaska. And what about the Statue of Liberty? Has it really been in Acapulco all this time?
Dang it, I hate when this stuff happens, especially when I'm the one driving. Don't you?

Mack said...

Or when I woke up to find myself within the Republican version of PLANET OF THE APES and saw Liberty Enlightening the World posing on the beach: "Darn you! Darn you to Heck!"