Friday, April 30, 2010

Evicted from a pet cemetery?

Further proof that the recession is not over yet:

Critters are being evicted from pet cemeteries!

Yikes! I didn’t even know that was possible.

I’ve heard of being evicted from a hotel or restaurant (and even been tossed a time or two myself, but that’s another blog). But who ever heard of being kicked out of a graveyard?

I thought that once you were buried, either man or beast, you, uh, pretty well stayed six feet under.

Not so at a pet cemetery in Hartsdale, N.Y.

If you lapse on perpetual care – which runs a cool $1,700 per year – your pet is yanked out of the ground faster than you can say “late fee.”

This, I believe, is unfair.

What kind of “perpetual care” do you give a buried pet?

I’m pretty sure the only maintenance of the grave is running a lawn mower over it once a week.

And isn’t that understood to be the cemetery’s responsibility?

Have you ever heard a funeral director say, “Thanks for doing business with us – and the zoysia over Uncle Frank grows quickly after rain, so get on it pronto.”

Jeez, they could at least call it a “grass-cutting fee.” But I guess “perpetual care” sounds spiffier, and you can persuade someone to shell out $1,700 for that.

I think we’ve all learned a lesson here.

Always read the fine print.

And if you have to inter Fido, discreetly ask the head honcho if they have a discount for slightly used graves.

2 comments:

Anne said...

My mind is boggled. Really.

Masive Ferguson said...

Even as I type (with one hand) I am cuddling my little dog. I am a sentimental fool about the pooch, and baby-talk to her when no one's listening. But in the end, she's a dog, not a human, and when I must someday, in tears, bury her, I will do so myself. Her memorial will be in my heart and in my happy, happy memories.