Friday, February 20, 2009

Public/private sectors

People often stop me and ask, “What is the difference between business and government?”

I usually say something like, “Business has to make a profit to survive so it must be efficient and responsive. Government is not bothered by such quaint notions.”

I think that’s a good answer, but the next time I am asked this question, I will tell my truth-seeker about the County Clerk in El Paso County, Colorado.

This public "servant" had to lay off 19 employees last year, and he wasn’t happy about it. So Bob Balink has figured out a way to show his displeasure.

He has instructed his remaining staff to simply stop answering the telephones.

If some stupid taxpayer wants to bother them, they can try to find what they need on the office’s Web site. Or they can come down in person. Or they can listen to the recorded message on the phone, which directs them to the county assessor or treasurer.

… Yes, I think that’s a better way to explain the difference between business and government.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Tom, that sounds like the attitude of a big-box store in Beaumont. Look like you might need some help, and the help flees.

-- Mack

Anonymous said...

Maybe they just don't like you, Mack.


Sven the Viking