Thursday, December 11, 2008

Let it snow!

By now most of it is gone. But it was a blast while it was here!

I actually got up for a while last night/this morning at 2 a.m. I looked out the window and couldn’t believe the white before my eyes.

I’ve lived here since ’83 and the most I ever saw was flurries, with zero accumulation. Finally some white stuff you can make a snowball or a snowman with! And lots of kids did just that!

Everybody should experience snow at least once in their lives. As a former Midwesterner, I saw it all the time as a kid. Still have a small wooden sled in my garage we used back in the day. To us, snow was regular weather.

But I gotta be honest with you: Snow is pretty to look at and hell to deal with. Shoveling snow off a sidewalk or driveway is fun once – and an annoying chore after that. (Unless you're an entrepreneurial kid who wants to make a quick buck shoveling snow.) Ditto for scraping snow off your car before you can drive it somewhere.

This snowfall was the right kind; light enough to look pretty on your lawn (or pile of hurricane debris) but quickly melting on streets.

If we ever get enough snow to stick on the roads, I’ll give y’all a free lecture on how to drive over it without having to make a call to your insurance agent afterward.

No comments: