Monday, January 11, 2010

Big Mac's secret sauce

So Big Mac has come clean. Sort of.

Former home-run king Mark McGwire has admitted using steroids and human growth hormone when he was hitting all those moonshots.

Duh.

This one was as obvious as the snow on the North Pole.

Only the terminally stupid could be surprised by this “confession.”

Over the years, tons of evidence have emerged to show that McGwire and many other sluggers were heavily juiced in a period of baseball history now correctly referred to as “The Steroid Era.”

Yes, it’s good that Big Mac has finally dropped the pretense of pretending.

No, it’s not good that he is still hiding behind a couple of familiar lies:

No. 1: “I did this for health purposes. There’s no way I did this for any type of strength purposes.”

(Yeah, right. And Amy Winehouse gets sloshed to prevent dehydration.)

No. 2: Those darned drugs didn’t even help that much: “I had good years when I didn’t take any, and I had bad years when I didn’t take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids.”

(Sure, Mark. Being able to hit the ball an extra 100 feet -- because you’re cheating -- probably would have no effect on a cleanup hitter.)

The real benefit of McGwire’s admission, lame as it is, is that the pressure is now turned up on other juicers to end their lies too.

Sammy, Barry, Roger, Rafael, etc., are you listening?

The fans will be waiting, and not so patiently.

And no, we won’t be fooled by your silly excuses and non-denials.

You can’t undo the damage you did to the game -- and to thousands of impressionable kids who harmed their bodies in countless ways.

But you can take some responsibility for this stinking mess, and that would be something.

5 comments:

Anne said...

"What a man, what a man, what a man,
what a mighty fine man!"


The Pointer Sisters.

Sven the Viking said...

By cracky, it's time we started testing chess champions for illegal drugs! And those uppity national merit scholars!

Mack said...

I don't follow soccer.

Glaoshes WD-40 said...

But he's clean and articulate and light colored.

Anonymous said...

Town Cryer...

I am sure I can still hear him whinning....And the answer is NO MAC. No way will you ever know how many you could have hit just playing honest baseball. What a jerk you turned out to be, You should be driven off the field by a mad ass bull..or at least a bunch of peewee base ball players...There is no room in baseball for Mac not ever again! Send him back!