Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Four on the floor

A Toyota was involved in a nasty crash recently in which the floor mat may have jammed the accelerator.

That’s bad. What happened next is a major overreaction.

Before we get to that however, it should be noted that a stuck accelerator is every driver’s nightmare.

I believe you are supposed to shift the transmission into neutral or turn off the engine when that happens.

Plan B would be running into something soft, or at least non-hard. A gently sloping pond or a wide expanse of desert comes to mind, but I know they aren’t always around when you need 'em.

Personally, I hope I never have to deal with a car going 90 mph and me and the passengers screaming like the front row of a Jonas Brothers concert. Driving on “the tunnel” on I-10 through Orange was adventurous enough.

Anyway, in this case Toyota is reacting to the problem by recalling the whopping number of 3.8 million vehicles. That is — drum roll, please — the largest auto recall in U.S. history.

Wouldn’t it be simpler for Toyota to mail owners a coupon for free mats, or ask them to drop by the dealer for a switcheroo?

Or, easiest of all, tell drivers to cut about 3 inches off their floor mats.

Whatever. By the way, with all the brilliant engineers at Toyota who have produced one of the finest automobile lines in the modern era, how come nobody noticed the stupid floor mat was too long?

8 comments:

Mack said...

My Ford Escape (which is a great little car) didn't even come with floor mats. Could I have some of the Toyota reject-mats?

Anne said...

This is an unrelated question Thomas,
Where is Matthew Danelo's blog? For weeks, I could only access his blog by clicking on yours and scrolling down to find him. It was not available on the main page displaying all the blogs. Please don't tell me that one of the best and funniest writers is no longer there. It just breaks my spirit when such things happen.

Tom T said...

Sorry, Anne, but Matt has indeed moved on. He was a great guy, but he went back to school for an advanced degree.

Mack said...

How advanced? 101? The cold fronts are at last descending upon us.

Reverend Quaaludus said...

I got my pHd at a spirit-filled series of Wednesday-night seminars at a motel near the freeway. Only cost my church $2,000, and now I'M A DOCTOR!

-- The Reverend Doctor Master Bishop Brother Quaaludus Smith, Pastor of the Bright Light Free Will Four Square Full Gospel Missionary Temple of the Lord Jesus and Lorder ME, ME, ME and my Reverend Sister Wife and Auto Detailing, Inc.

Mack said...

My degree is HSG -- High School Graduate.

Reverend Quaaludus said...

We have easy-to-read Scriptures for you Mack with pitchers and stuff, lord, you should check out Salome! Hotcha, hotcha!

Galoshes WD-40 said...

If it ain't in th' Saint James Bible I ain't-a gonna have it in th' house.