Friday, September 18, 2009

Ahoy, mateys

As if we don’t have enough holidays to deal with, Saturday is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

That’s right, you landlubbin’ sapsucker. Bring me a noggin’ o’ rum or I’ll run ya through!

That is pirate lingo. If I knew any more, I’d let you have it. Perhaps it’s a good thing that I don’t.

At least all you have to do on International Talk Like a Pirate Day is talk like a pirate. I don’t think you have to give gifts or send cards. (Rum drinking is encouraged, however.)

But we have to be careful with letting just anyone add another holiday to the chock-full calendar, even one as, uh, interesting as this one.

Even Congress has a committee that decides when to celebrate National Rutabaga Day to make sure it doesn’t conflict with Barn Appreciation Week.

So have a grand fest, and may the devil take your soul if you ever give quarter or ask for it.

I’ll see you on national Walk Like An Egyptian Day.

2 comments:

Mack said...

Why is there never a Talk Like a CPA Day?

Anne the Bosomly! said...

Avast! Me haerties! Buckle ye swashes and lay waste to all the rumscullions, landlubbers and gold hoarders to hand this day and save the comely wenches for the crew and Cap'n!