Monday, June 09, 2008

Big Brown's bust

The ghost of Affirmed can rest easier. It is still the last horse to win the Triple Crown, back in ’78.

Like a lot of people, I got caught up in Big Brown mania. In Friday’s blog, I even predicted that Brown would win by three lengths.

Well, at least he was at one end of the pack anyway.

Actually, I should have followed my first instincts. In last Monday’s blog, I wondered uneasily about the boasts made by Big Brown’s trainer, Rick Dutrow Jr.

He assured fans that Brown would take the Belmont easily. Even called in a “foregone conclusion.”

In retrospect, you feel suckered by the hype in these situations. There is no such thing as a sure bet, especially in something as chancy as sports. Just ask the Patriots about their “perfect season.”

Big Brown was awesome. But he wasn’t perfect. There is a difference.

No comments: