Thursday, November 12, 2009

Flu & you

With so much going lately we sort of lost track of swine flu. But it’s still out there, getting stronger, waiting to drop the hammer on a nation already reeling from unemployment and terrorism (and the end of the baseball season).

Or is it?

The question remains: Will swine flu be big 'n' bad, or about the same as most flu strains?

So far, no one knows. And so far, swine flu has sickened nearly 22 million Americans and killed nearly 4,000.

That’s grim, but not as bad as what was predicted. And not much worse than a “normal” flu season.

The good news, sort of, is that most people who get swine flu become only mildly ill and don’t even need a doctor’s care.

But the numbers are expected to get worse as the winter drags on. And we still don’t have enough vaccine for those who want it. (Like me!)

I will keep trying to get the magic inoculation. With my luck, that might be April, when the epidemic is over.

But I do know this:

In recent years I have gotten flu shots and didn’t get the flu. But in earlier years I didn’t get flu shots … and didn’t get the flu either.

If Obamacare can solve those kinds of riddles, I’m all for it.

2 comments:

Massive Ferguson said...

I wish I could source this, but today one perceptive wit said that given President Obama's dithering, if he had been prez in 1861 this nation's national anthem would be "Dixie."

Sven the Viking said...

Fearless Leader didn't dither in getting his own children the flu vaccine. Your children -- 'nother matter.