Monday, February 04, 2008

A Giant upset

I have never been happier to be wrong about a Super Bowl prediction.

I said the Pats would prevail 33-24, but of course that was way too many points for this bowl.

Actually, I also said the Giants would cover the 13/14-point spread, so maybe I was right and wrong. Perhaps, but that is too much thinking for a post-Super Bowl Monday.

I also noted that my heart was with Eli Manning even though my head was screaming Tom Brady, so I was delighted to see the Giants win. Finally, poor Eli isn’t “the other Manning.”

The Giants are the only New York team I can root for. In all other sports, especially baseball, I desperately want the gang from Gotham to lose.

Bill Belichick didn’t take the defeat well. In a brief, post-game interview, he was grumpy, close-mouthed and prickly. … OK, he’s like that all the time, so I guess that didn’t mean much.

One final thought: Don Shula and the rest of the ’72 Dolphins will go to their graves with smiles on their faces. If their perfect season couldn’t be matched this year, it is probably not gonna happen.

No comments: