Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Duckin' Gus

If you left and regret it, don’t.

If you stayed and want to gloat, don’t.

Yeah, we ducked Gus. But we came about as close as you can come to missing a big ’cane without actually getting hit. A minor shift by Gustav would have brought major headaches here.

Most of my family relocated to San Antone.

I stayed and prayed. I was hoping the storm would follow the path predicted by the experts, ready to bug out if we became the bull’s eye.

All the while, I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Storms almost never follow the path predicted by the experts.

This time, it did. Thank God for us — though the folks in Louisiana who got hammered are wondering why they couldn’t catch a break with a veer one way or another.

Now they say Ike and Josephine are patiently standing in line, ready to bring new worries to someone on the coast.

I don’t even know where that will be, but I can’t wait for hurricane season to end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly the authorities made every decision just right, and congratulations to them. Better safe than dead, and as Al Caldwell said this morning, coming home to an intact house is a cause for celebration, not for complaint.

-- Mack